วันจันทร์ที่ 2 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2552

In Memory of Stanley Starosta, My greatest Guru

Stanley Starosta was a man with great humor. He was one of the best and greatest guru I've ever had. I myself will remember Stan as a great supervisor. He drove his students to working very hard (you know, like reading a lot and solving a lot of complicated syntactic problems). Stan was an excellent teacher who always devoted time for his students. No matter how busy he was, he always found time to spare to discuss any linguistic matters or reading papers and provided constructive comments. He respected and valued our opinions as friends, not just as students.

Early in 2002, I was honored to have Stan stay at my house during his visit in Bangkok. We have chatted a lot and of course we also discuss some Thai linguistic issues. I never knew that would be the last time I met him.

I feel very lucky to be his students.
Stan is my greatest guru.

Stanley Starosta, Professor in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Hawaii, passed away on July 18, 2002,

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น